2023 Torchlight Parade Marshal –
Written by Brad Quarberg
La Crosse native and 1975 Logan High School graduate Scott Hendrickson has been named the 2023 Oktoberfest Torchlight Parade Marshal.
Hendrickson, who was born and raised on La Crosse’s northside, says he is “very excited and honored” to serve as the 2023 Torchlight Parade Marshal. He attended Franklin Elementary School and after graduating from Logan High, he attended UW-La Crosse where he earned a Bachelor of Science in community health education in 1980.
Hendrickson left La Crosse following graduation to join the U.S. Army where he served as a medical service corps officer from 1980-2002. He earned a Master of Healthcare Administration degree from Baylor University in 1989. His final Army assignment was chief operating officer of the hospital and clinics at Fort Riley Kansas.
When Hendrickson retired to La Crosse in 2006, he became a construction volunteer for Habitat for Humanity, where he has helped build many homes, including three on the northside. He has been active at Trinity Lutheran Church where serves on the church’s council as treasurer.
Hendrickson has also been an active member of the Logan-Northside Neighborhood Association since 2018. He has volunteered for the American Red Cross’ Service to Armed Forces program since April 2019 and is a regular blood donor with the organization. Since 2021, he has been a member of the Joint Board of Harbor Commissioners.
Hendrickson says his focus on serving others in retirement remains as strong as it was during his professional career.
“Whether it be patients in the hospital or clinic, or by volunteering in the community, I find my volunteer time very rewarding,” he says. “I especially enjoy volunteering on the Habitat for Humanity construction team.”
Hendrickson says he and his wife, Pam Mueller, look forward to traditional Oktoberfest activities, such as Friday’s Tapping of the Golden Keg and enjoying music on the grounds.
“I look forward to riding in the Torchlight Parade,” he says. “I also can’t wait to visit schools and nursing homes the week after Oktoberfest, as well as attend other festivals next year.”
Hendrickson says while he has had the good fortune of attending Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany, twice, he expects this year’s fest in La Crosse to be the most special.
The Scott Hendrickson file
- Resides in north La Crosse
- Married to Pam Mueller; two grown daughters living in Kansas and Texas; two grandsons.
- Graduated from La Crosse Logan High School, 1975; bachelor’s degree in community health education, UW-La Crosse, 1980.
- Retired as chief operating officer at Fort Riley Kansas in 2002, currently construction volunteer for Habitat for Humanity, Trinity Lutheran Church Council, Logan-Northside Neighborhood Association.
- Among his volunteer work: Joint Board of Harbor Commissioners; American Red Cross’ Service to Armed Forces Program; regular Red Cross blood donor; assists veterans at La Crosse and Tomah VA clinics.
Former Torchlight Parade Marshals
|Year||Torchlight Parade Marshal|
|2000||Bud Loomis & Dave Loomis*|
|1995||Randy Eddy, Sr.|
Parade Marshal Nomination
Know Someone that should “Lead the Way?” Nominate a Parade Marshal today using the Parade Marshal nomination form!
Submit your nomination for a Parade Marshal by completing the online form linked below.
Your nominee should be a person who:
- has contributed positively to the good of the community through leadership and outstanding accomplishments
- is someone of good character that is well-respected
- is a resident for at least 10 years within 20-mile radius of La Crosse
- is actively involved and well-known in La Crosse community
- is well-known, well-liked, friendly and outgoing
- has the time to devote to Oktoberfest activities!